The continent or region of archipelago has numerous definitions – with interpretations together with Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, East Timor and elements of Dutch East Indies. The name archipelago is employed as a result of it’s the ocean and abutting seas than a continent that link the lands along.
Oceania offers a varied landscape – with regions varied from forest to geological formation, to island paradises dotted amongst temperate waters. because of the region’s formation, the islands of archipelago hold a range of animals and plants, usually one-of-a-kind to their own island or region.
- The Great Walks of New Zealand
- Hike on Franz Josef or Fox Glacier
- Extreme Sports in Queenstown, New Zealand
- The South Pacific Islands
- Scuba Diving: Marshall Islands, Palau,Solomon Islands, The Great Barrier Reef, Poor Knights Islands
- Gondwana Forests of New Caledonia, New Zealand and the Southwest Coast of Australia
- Native Cultures: Aborigines of Australia, The Maori of Aotorea and the many elaborate cultures of Papua New Guinea
- If you are heading to Australia, double-check if you need to apply for an electronic visa online for business or as a tourist. You may be applicable for a visa-free entry depending on your citizenship when visiting New Zealand. Most small islands have visa-on-arrival, but double-check.
- Be aware that you must show proof of reserved accommodation when visiting the Cook Islands and pay a departure tax (NZ$55/adult and $15/children between ages 2-12 at the time of this writing).
- New Zealand is very protective of its agriculture based economy resulting in strict restrictions against foreign food/plant materials. The inspection is thorough, so leave such goods behind (this includes airplane food as small as crackers) otherwise you may be charged a fine ranging from $200-100,000 or even prison.
- Some of the deadliest animals in the world are found in Australia, but don’t let this deter you. Practice caution by following local warnings (i.e. swimming/surfing within boundaries, respecting saltwater crocodile signs, or ask locals for advice).
- Safety in places like Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands are much higher than Vanuatu, Samoa and the Cook Islands. If you are in Papua New Guinea, be aware of criminal gangs and avoid going out after dark, but know that the villages tend to be safer and the locals very open and accepting.